Tuesday, February 21, 2012

THE LOCK AND KEY

To me, the Bible was a locked treasure chest. I'd feel inspired and drawn by some stories or examples or verses, but I knew that I was just scraping at its leather-bound surface. I'd hear speakers speak and preachers preach these precious stones of revelation that they'd found within the Bible, and my thirst would increase but I'd still remain with no key in hand. I didn't know how to get into this Word that is so central to what we believe and to be frank, I didn't think it was publicly accessible anyway. The depths of the Bible was for the elitely scholarly minded; for the budding ministers and the teachers of theology. Despite feeling inadequate in the face of this historical book, I couldn't deny my own frustration at why I couldn't understand it deeply for myself. The sips of wisdom I was drinking from others wasn't satisfying or answering my questions which began to stack. Here I am writing in past-tense because by God's grace He organised for me to come to this school to realise how wrong I was. I pray to encourage that the rich breadth of this Holy Book can be found by every single person! With my key in hand I am overwhelmed that for 20 years of my life I had access to seeing so much more of God's character sitting right there in this Book, waiting for my investment. If I can hold this key, then you can too.